23 February 2012

I was on the bus the other day and received some pretty strong criticism from an elderly woman about my piercings.


She mentioned how unnatural it was of me to be sticking needles and metal into my skin for the purpose of vanity, and how both piercings AND vanity itself were sins. The thing I found amazing about her critique was that she delivered it both respectfully and calmly. She wasn't outraged about it, she didn't cause a scene, but very simply laid out her opinion. She was just mislead; as most people are when it comes to body modifications. She was wearing lipstick and had her ears pierced, herself. Had it have been a different tone of conversation, I would have replied to her "I suppose you were naturally born wearing earrings, then?".

(My piercings: angelbites, and a septum)

It made me start to really wonder why it is that tattoos, piercings and all things related have become so taboo in today's society? We either have to search back into primitive times or seek hope in the far future to see body modifications as an accepted part of our cultures. Unfortunately, we've created a stereotype for people who fall under the category of "modified" in society. Most people see piercings and tattoos as "dirty", "trashy" or "unprofessional". It's a shame that this is what we have turned something that derived from a cultured tradition into this sort of image (maybe a concept I'll go into in another blog). It's hard to break the mould of a stereotype once it's been hardened in to the minds of the public. 


I long for the day where all body art can be considered accepted, and appearance comes second to persona.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you had said to the elderly woman and that people see them as trashy or unprofessional but our society today is pretty accepting of it for the most part but a majority of our population has a piercing or tattoo. The fact is not everyone has one but a lot of people do accept them. That elderly woman is not truly a part of our society but a piece of the past lingering around pushing her beliefs on the future generation. My grandparents know that everybody gets tattoo's nowadays and have accepted my tattoo and when I had an eyebrow ring they weren't pleased about it sure but it was my decision and the understood that. I think that whoever that elderly woman was happened to be a hypocrite and a bible thumper. I also think that if there was a heaven or hell people wouldn't be judged by appearance, and that the bible was not handed down from god but from the devil in order to give us boundaries we are bound to break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people are just stuck in the past or clench too tightly on to traditions. It's actually what kills cultures, ideals and what has nearly diminished religion already - unwillingness to grow, expand and accept the changes of society. We are always speaking of CHANGE in Robin's class. Change truly is the main essence of life, nothing is forever, nothing is permanent, and nothing is stable. When people decide to seclude themselves from what changes come, they decide to seclude themselves from society. If you refuse to let go of ANY traditions or beliefs, or let them evolve and meld with others discovered throughout your life, you will never succeed in any aspect. You will never achieve happiness. You will never fit in or sustain. Non-acceptance kills cultures.

    ReplyDelete